Monday 10 August 2009

Mondays Featured Seller

Before I introduce my featured seller today I want to say a huge thanks to the wonderful Lorrie from IllusioCreative on Etsy who has made my new blog banner and one for my shop on Etsy. I'm totally useless with things like that so I really appreciate it!

Onto todays seller and it is the lovely Jeanette from MissMaisy. She is a stalwart on the Etsy UK chat thread and is always great fun and full of praise and advice. Onto the interview -

What is your name/business name?
My name is Jeanette House but I go by my nickname, Maisy :)
My web-business is called 'maisy chain', which I started in 2006 but I have spin-off online shops too - 'little jewels by miss maisy' being the main one.

What is your craft?
I design and make jewellery, and am also resurrecting my love of art: sketching, painting and collage :)


How long have you been crafting for?
I've been creative in one form or another since childhood. I was always painting, drawing and writing. I collected shells and stones and would spend hours arranging them in intricate patterns! For New Year 2006, I treated myself to a one-day basic necklace stringing course - was instantly hooked - and since then, I've taught myself other techniques by reading and researching, trial and error [lots of trial and even more error!].


What is your favourite thing about your craft?
I have fibro/M.E. so even though sometimes the days can be long and my physical activity limited, I can still sit and play with beads and stones. It's my therapy; I get so absorbed with my making that it's great to finally look up and find that I've passed the time doing something constructive and have something pretty to show for it :)

What is your least favourite thing?
Having too many ideas and not having the energy to do them all at once, or the discipline to park them and just focus on one at a time!!


Where do you sell your work?
My attention is chiefly on Etsy:
MissMaisy
[my novelty jewellery, and I have some gift items to list soon]
- maisychain [my contemporary jewellery]
- LittleNovelties [my jewellery and craft supplies]
- House of Flowers [my mini art and papercrafts - not quite ready to open yet!].
I also have a website: maisychain, and more shops on dawanda, coriandr, and folksy that I need to get stocked up so I can really start promoting them...

Where do you get your inspiration?
I was raised in the tropics and that has definitely influenced the way I am drawn to colour and texture. Often when I see a particular stone, I immediately see how it would look best in combination with another and my designs just evolve from there... I'm the same with beads and fabric - I suppose most of my designs are based on colour matching and manipulation.


Anything else you would like to tell us?
2009 is supposed to be the year I learn to knit but I haven't even started yet! I can see that one possibly being rolled-over to my 2010 resolutions... *rolls eyes* Hopeless!

Thanks Maisy for taking the time to answer my questions and I hope everyone will check out Maisys shops.

2 comments:

  1. aw, thanks so much ami xx
    the new banners [here and the shop!] look fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a lot of stores to manage. I love the lampwork chicken necklace--wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete