Saturday 6 June 2009

School Fair

This morning I took a table at my childrens school Summer Fair. Last year we had a scorcher of a day and loads of visitors. Unfortunately it was raining this morning so we had to set up the tables in the dining hall, corridors and class rooms.

However it was still well attended and I think I got lucky with the table right beside the tea and biscuits! I've learned over the course of many fairs to bring lots of items for children and lower priced items like simple earrings. It's surprising how many of the children were buying small gifts for their mums!

I sold several necklaces and bracelets as well as lots of the lower priced items, though there was steep competition from another seller who imports a lot of cheap items.

I also got a commission from a lady for a necklace and earrings. She'd bought a necklace from me at last years fair and came back this year hoping I'd be there!

I've no more fairs lined up but after todays success I'll definitely book some in for the autumn.

9 comments:

  1. oh well done! and that's fab news about the commission from a return customer - you must have been well chuffed with her :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!

    I dont mind competing against other handmade sellers at fairs but not people who import stuff - my jewellery isnt expensive but theirs is usually sooo cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is someone who does a lot of car boots etc and sells LOADS for about a pound each. Theirs no way I can compete on price so I just make different things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you. I have a few coming up this month and fingers crossed not too many import sellers grrrrrr.
    Yay on the commission too that is great news xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, sounds like you had a great day!

    And well done on that commission, it is lovely when a customer comes back to you, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! It's lovely when you get a repeat customer. Hope your fairs go well Mel

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least your jewellery is handmade, make a A4 poster next time so people know it is all your own work and individual, eve

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am passing the "One Lovely Blog Award" along to you.You may pass it along to 15 others of your favorites.Suzanne,Nursesnaturally@Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always seem to be able to make lemonade out of lemons! And being next to the tea and biscuits doesn't hurt either. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete