Tuesday 23 June 2009

Featured Seller

Todays featured seller is Folksy seller Emma from Ji Ji Kiki

- What is your name/business name?
My name is Emma Coles and my business is called Ji Ji Kiki. It's named after two characters in a Studio Ghibli film.


- What do you make?
I make vintage and kitsch jewellery.I have just launched a new jewellery range called 'Reconstructed,' which is one-off pieces made using broken and vintage items. I like the idea of taking something old with some history and story behind it and using it to create a completely new piece. I also sell bags, bath and beauty products, homewares, gifts, handmade fascinators and retro and vintage jewellery, bags and homewares that I have collected on my travels.

- How long have you been crafting for?
I've only been making things to sell since last year, but I have always been creating things. I used to write a lot of stories when I was younger and I love to draw and paint.


- What is your favourite thing about your craft?
I love creating new pieces. I get really excited when I think of ideas for pieces and can't wait to try it out. It's such an amazing feel when a customer emails saying how much they like my work or that people have complemented them on one of my pieces they have been wearing. I am really lucky in that this is my full time job so I get to do what I love everyday.

- What is your least favourite thing?
Not enough hours in the day to get things done! I also find it very frustrating when I have an idea for something I'd like to make and then can't get hold of the pieces I need.


- Where do you sell your work?
I have my own website, www.jijikiki.co.uk
and I also sell on Folksy. I am also stocked by two shops; Iksentrik in Frome, Somerset and Birdy'sBoutique in Lincoln.

- Where do you get your inspiration?
All over the place-films, books, nature, dreams. I studied history at university and really love the Victorian, Art Deco and Art Nouveau periodsas the jewellery is just gorgeous so I guess that plays a part as well.


- Anything else you'd like to tell us?
As if I don't have enough to do already, I am also in the process ofsetting up a new website to sell other designer's work.My boyfriend's mum is a beaded jewellery maker who also teaches and a lotof her beaders would like to sell their work but, like a lot of crafters, want to make things to sell but don't want the hassle of having to buy the photography equipment, set up a shop/website and deal with the business side of it all.My new website will be an emporium to sell pieces made by people who just like to create! It's called the Oriental Magpie, as magpies obviously like shiny and pretty things-which is what will be available through thesite :)
I also have a blog called Scavenger Bird where I feature independant shops and handmade items - I also run competitions to win pieces kindly donated byfeatured artists.

Many thanks to Emma for answering my questions and I hope you'll check out her shop

No comments:

Post a Comment